Wednesday, August 5, 2009

Environmental Humanities and Summer Times

Thoughts on a Summer in Our Environment:

In a few weeks the school bell will ring and I will be back in the hallowed halls of graduate school. I have mixed emotions about this upcoming adventure. After a year in the Environmental Humanities program I have an idea of what to expect and have a refined perspective on the world that I am surrounded by, which leads me to my short rant.

This summer saw me through the rapids of Cataract Canyon, chocolate drops of the Maze District, environmental education at Rowland Hall, and the north woods of Minnesota. These divergent places are connected through my experience. Experience that opened my mind and now offer memories to draw upon this semester.
Cataract Canyon: Thoughts of the moon glow over the Colorado River while we camped at Brown Betty come to mind. The brownish flood stage waters turned silverywhite as they slipped over the submerged boulders. The torrent that is illuminated in the day is tempered by the light of the moon in the night.
Maze District: The complete and utter desolation of a place that is still real, unpaved, and unpasteurized.
Environmental Education: Being continually reminded of the fascination that children have for their natural world. These days included delays as a rolly polly crosses the path of small feet, snail races on park signs, and the faith in a planted seed.
Northern Minnesota: A place where eagles abound, lakes are clear and natural, and the stars still shine.



It was/is an amazing summer and I wish she would stay for a few more short months. Do you care to share any summer stories? What about feelings toward the beginning of a new semester?

No comments: