Wednesday, February 11, 2009

participating? yes, no, or both?

I’m not crazy (ok, maybe I am). Remember we discussed “Qualitative Research Methods” in Filed Methods on Tuesday? I found an interesting passage, “Stated a little differently, observing without participating may inhibit researchers’ ability to adequately understand the complex, lived experience of human beings” (4). By “participating” the author seems to indicate that one cannot avoid essentialism in research. But in the filed of literary research, “participating” is usually regarded too personal and not objective. I remember there was a very intensive debate between professors and students in my former department. Should an ecocritic keep a close distance with physical nature (for instance, going to the woods very often or becoming an experienced hiker), or stay away from it? One professor popped up a question to support his argument, “Do you have to be a woman in order to study feminism?”

What is your opinion of actually participating a fieldwork or personally involved in an issue in your own research? Is it necessary for academic researches, or it depends on disciplines? Maybe EH professors and other senior students can join this discussion too! (Now I have a picture of the geographer in The Little Prince in my head.)

No comments: