Thursday, November 19, 2009

"In The Tunnels You Can Actually Walk On Stars"

a found poem from the Nancy Holt/Helmet Sidney Loe interview in History of the Sun Tunnels Near Lucin, Utah using only Nancy Holt's words.

"I knew it was the right kind of sight for Sun Tunnels, because it was flat and barren and had no other use.

You could see time written on the rocks. In the mountains surrounding the area you can see the lines where the sea bit into the mountains. It was as if my inner landscape and the outer landscape were identical, there was a pervasive sense of oneness.

I don't think there is a way to build to the geographical scale of the environment ... it is so vast, so huge ... I don't think you can compete with the desert scale, even if you wanted to.

These spiraling lines may be the trajectory of bullets. It's not that bad, the lines have a certain energy.

Perception
Distance
Place
Solstice
Scale

I think everything I do is related to the site, to the environment.

It's just part of having something out there in the world."

IMG_4291.jpg

(photo courtesy of: http://millyboarder.blogspot.com/2007/06/sun-tunnels.html)

No comments: